Wednesday, August 3, 2011

An Overgrown Garden

Looks like I won many battles but lost the war. My poor zucchini are wilting and dying. The squash borer is doing it's damage. It's really sad to see considering all the work I put into keeping the blasted things alive. I have a new theory on squash beetles and squash borers. Do what ever you can to keep them under control
but you will never eradicate them. They will kill your plants eventually, it's all about how long you can keep the squash plants alive to produce. I kept mine alive long enough to make many many loaves of zucchini breads, muffins, brownies and more. Now that I know then end is near I've been shredding all that I can find and shoving it in the freezer for this fall and winter (I've read that it freezes well shredded and not blanched). Here's ten cups worth:



RIP zucchini, see ya gain next year.
On a happy note, the cantaloupe is producing like crazy. I planted eight started cantaloupe plants in the spring, along with twenty seeds and now have 26 cantaloupe out there among the vines. We've already harvested three and ate one last night....oh how I LOVE cantaloupe, as do the kids. The watermelon is having a bumper crop as well with 13 melons out in the garden. Next year: MORE cantaloupe and watermelon. They are winners!




The sunflowers didn't dissapoint. With a name like "Sunfower Forest" it had to be good! The big ones on the edge of the garden (where  the goat manure got spread) are a huge 11+ feet tall. I've read there are even larger varieties which I'll order and try next year.



Tomatoes are going nuts too. Looks like it's time to make some salsa! Too bad my cilantro puttered out in the heat. Still got onions and hot peppers though. It will be a salsa making weekend. Yum! In the mean time I found a good way to get rid of tomatoes. Skin them and hand them to a little girl. Greta will devour a big tomato in about 30 seconds.


Proof of Greta's little tomato addiction.

1 comment:

Granny Randi said...

I'm salivating for all your bounty...fresh veggies and fruit...how divine!