Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Kids on the Block

I now have two new kids in my life. Aren't they freaking precious?! Dym had a little doeling and buckling (girl and boy) around noon today. I went out to check on her (as I'd been doing every twenty minutes) before Jessica came over for a playdate. No laboring, no kids. So there we were sitting in the living room with the baby monitor near us and Jessica heard the faintest of a little baby goat noise. She said "Dude! You've got a baby out there!" and I went "Oh my gosh!" and ran out there to find Dym cleaning up a just born kid. First out was the little boy whom I named Heston. Don't ask me why, just liked it. I helped her dry him off a little and dipped his umbilical cord in iodine, then showed him where the buffet was. I ran inside to tell everyone and help feed all the children lunch. By the time I got back out there (10 minutes later?) she already had the second baby out. Wish I would have stayed out there, I would have loved to see it. The second kid out was the little girl whom I named Coco (well actually Jessica named her). They are both doing great and I just adore them, as does Dym. She is such a good Mom, licking them nonstop. I have had to help them find the milk every time I go out there as poor Dym's teats are really long and almost drag the ground when she's in milk. I was worried they weren't getting enough colostrum (first milk) that I milked her a bit and bottle fed each kid a few ounces. They seem to be doing well, already bouncing around trying to leap on top of tired Dym. I was sitting in the pen and Heston bounced over to me and jumped in my lap then proceeded to fall asleep. I think I'm going to enjoy helping raise these kids. :)

Just born.

Tiny next to Mom.

Checking out the strange creature in the corner.

5 comments:

Hoofprints said...

I really do need goats now. I wonder what the city rules are on four-legged lawn mowers? Too cute dude...congrats on the new members to the menagerie. Glad I could help watch the kiddos for ya.

Little Man's blog said...

very cute. Glad the birth went well. Heston and Coco sound like Hollywood names. He, he.

Sasha Victoria said...

congratulations on the kids. They don't know that they are the luckiest goats to have you as a "mommy". They are adorable!

Stacy said...

Oh my gosh, they are seriously cute! Congrats!!

The Menagerie Momma said...

Thanks guys! I'm just in goatie heaven right now.:)