Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sean's gonna kill me

Sunday afternoon I had decided to go into town to order some balloons for Wesley's birthday this Saturday. I'm waiting for a train along with about eight other cars. Train goes by and we start driving forward. Then the four cars in front of me start swerving all over the place, some into the other lane of traffic and some into the ditch. Not knowing what the heck was happening up there I slowed down only to find a big dog trotting down my lane. This big lug was just lopping along into oncoming traffic. After seeing him almost get hit three times I pulled into a side road and turned around and drove back to where he was. At this point he had decided to take a break from committing suicide and went down into a ditch to drink some water. I opened the back of the car and whistled and he ran over and jumped into the back. The whole way home I'm chanting "Sean's going to kill me, Sean's going to kill me". I couldn't just let the poor dog get hit, after all it was the day after the 4th of July and he probably just jumped his fence from fright, it happens a lot.

The next day I took him to our local vet in the same town I picked him up and reported him as found. They also checked him over for a microchip with no luck. As of yet no one has posted a missing dog ad and as the days go by he's burrowing his way into my heart. He's such a sweet dog. From what I can tell he's a pure bred black lab, just a gorgeous dog. The vet tech thinks he's rather young, maybe around a year. He follows me everywhere and won't let me out of his sight. And the manners! I've never seen a better mannered dog in my life. He doesn't jump up on us, no counter cruising, he plays so well with the other two dogs and loves on Wesley whenever he gets a chance. It's heartwarming to see Sophie out running and playing with another dog. She hasn't done that since before Cisco got cancer. Is it wrong that I hope his owners don't come looking for him? I know, I know....like we need another animal now with a baby on the way very soon.

He needed a collar and the only one I had lying around was the goats old collar. It's just a standard dog collar with a tag on it that says "Goat Man" and our phone number. I told Sean we needed to give him a name even if we don't keep him just to make things easier when getting his attention. Sean, of course, said we should just call him Goat Man then we don't need to have a new tag made. I don't think we need two Goat Mans around here.
Who knows what will happen with him, but for now I'm enjoying the stray I picked up.

Isn't he gorgeous?

2 comments:

Hoofprints said...

Yeah...he is very beautiful. Especially after an awesome friend of yours gave him a nice bath yesterday. :-)

Little Man's blog said...

I"m with Sean, call him Goat Man. It's ironic.